Thursday, February 23, 2017

The Wescott Mine and Mill Railway

Tom's Gn15 Layout Update 01

Several months of work included in one post!

(September 2016)

The locomotive conversion is getting closer to completion.  Was tired of the white styrene/BN paint scheme mix, so I went ahead and painted it primer gray.  I still need to add detail parts as well as an access hatch (cosmetic) to the hood.

I am also experimenting with a track arrangement. Not sure I like it, and will probably remove one of the turnouts.  I am leaving this in place on the foam core baseboard for several days and will probably modify it in the near future.  The foam core baseboard is 20" x 30" x 1/2".  The track radius is tight (minimum radius about 7"), but that will not be a problem for this little mining engine and dump cars. 

(October 2016)

Wescott Mine & Mill Railway
Wescott Mine & Mill Railway Logo

Building up the roadbed for the finalized track arrangement. 

This micro layout is not based on any particular prototype mining railway,  but is based on past mining operations in my local area.

Barite (tiff in local parlance) was hand mined and processed by several small (2 or 3 people) mining operations that operated in Washington County, Missouri. The mined barite was carted to market by mules and wagons.  A railway operation was utilized in the 20th century, but it no longer exists.  A couple of video clips exist and can be found in the YouTube link below.

More information on barite mining can be found by visiting these sites:

(February 2017)

I worked on prepping the Atlas code 100 track tonight while listening to the YouTube Model Builders Live show.

The HO code 100 ties are not spaced correctly to represent narrow gauge track in G Scale, so modification is needed.  I noticed a modeling photo of someone* cutting out extra ties and doubling up several of them to give the track a more prototypical look.  It's a visual trick for sure, but I like the effect. This is a tedious process and care must be taken while using a #18 chisel blade to cut out the ties.

The turnout pictured above will be behind the backdrop and out of view (staging/fiddle track).

Once all of the ties have been cut and modified, I will be able to connect and glue the track down.


Track work completed.  Did a test run with a couple of jumper wires connected to a DC power pack and it works! The normal spaced ties were left in place for the bridge track that spans the creek and in the fiddle yard.


*I do not know the name of the person, but I want people to know the idea is not original with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment