Thursday, March 9, 2023

Gn15 Wescott Rwy Update 05

It has been only 4 years since my last update post on my Gn15 layout build. So much for the "more updates soon" statement in the last post. 😊


Patching plaster applied and rock faces carved into the plaster

The baseboard has been sitting in the garage for the last four years. I added patching plaster to the old plaster cloth being careful to pre-wet the old plaster with a mist of 91% isopropyl alcohol and water. As the plaster began to set up, I carved out the rock faces. 

Washes ready for application 

I'm coloring the rocks using the "Leopard Spotting" technique Woodland Scenics developed to color rock faces. I dab on the diluted acrylic paints with a 1"foam brush. 

Yellow Ochre wash applied 

Raw and Burnt Umber wash applied 

Black wash applied 

Rock surfaces drying

Earth-colored non-sanded grout dusted onto the ground surfaces 

Ballast applied and testing vegetation placement 

At this point I am pleased with the look; however, the larger coarse ballast did not bond well at all. Also, a careless oversight when applying plaster resulted in the rock cut on the left being too narrow for the tram loco. This means I will have to chip away some of the completed rock surfaces to gain clearance. Ugh! 

Tom


No comments:

Post a Comment